Since 1859 the German Technical and Scientific Association for Gas and Water has funded research into Germany’s water supply. Research has made it possible to swiftly identify technical challenges and promote the DVGW’s pioneering further development. TZW has grown continuously since its foundation in 1991. It has adapted to innovative challenges and created corresponding framework conditions.
2020 – 25 YEARS AT KARSRUHE-HAGSFELD SITE
Since 1995, TZW has had its main site in Karlsruhe-Hagsfeld. Due to the Corona pandemic, the 25th anniversary could only be commemorated with a special page in the annual report. The 25th colloquium was held online in December 2020 with great success.
2019 - TZW TEST CENTRE: LABORATORIES AND OFFICES FRESHLY RENOVATED
The laboratories of the TZW test centre at the Durlacher Wald waterworks were completely renovated in 2018. The spatial design took into account the special requirements of testing practice among others for odour and taste tests. Now that the offices and meeting rooms have been converted into modern and bright rooms, the refurbishment was completed in 2019.
2017 - KARLSRUHE SITE EXTENSION
Official opening of the extension at the Karlsruhe-Hagsfeld site. A new modern construction with airy offices and spacious labs was created next to the existing building on Karlsruher Strasse. The new building was opened by Minister Untersteller and the President and Chair of the DVGW.
2013 – DURLACHER WALD EXTENSION
The rising demand for testing products used in relation to drinking water made it necessary to expand capacity in the Test centre at the Durlacher Wald site. A new testing hall was built in 2010, offering an ideal infrastructure. In 2013 the entire office area was also modernised.
2010 – NEW MANAGEMENT
Dr. Josef Klinger became the CEO of TZW.
2006 – RELOCATION OF THE DRESDEN BRANCH
After the site was flooded in 2002, the branch relocated to the current site in 2006 in the Hosterwitz waterworks. The expansion of the old plant’s laboratory, technical centre and office spaces was set up for TZE by the owner, DREWAG. Since 2006, the working focus of the branch office has been on water distribution in addition to providing regional consultation to water supply companies.
1995 – NEW BUILDING IN KARLSRUHE
After the founding of TZW, the DVGW decided to construct a new building in Karlsruhe-Hagsfeld with offices, technical areas and laboratories for the new research facility. The groundbreaking took place on 1 July 1993 and the roofing ceremony was celebrated on 18 May 1994. The relocation was completed by the start of July 1995.
1991 – FOUNDATION OF TZW
Foundation of the Technologiezentrum Wasser (TZW) from the water chemistry department of the DVGW research unit. Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Kühn was nominated as the director (image of the groundbreaking of the new building in 1993).
Following the liquidation of the water technology research institute , a branch office of the TZW was founded on 15 April 1991 at the Dresden-Kaditz clarification plant site. The Forschungszentrum Wassertechnik (Research Institute for Water Technology) was the central facility for applied research into water supply and waste water treatment in the former GDR.
1977 - DVGW RESEARCH UNIT
Merger of the DVGW departments gas, crude oil and coal, combustion technology, and water chemistry at the Engler-Bunte Institute to create the DVGW Research Centre at the Engler-Bunte Institute at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. Prof. Dr. Heinrich Sontheimer was the professor of water chemistry.
1947 – WATER CHEMISTRY AT THE UNIVERSITY
In 1907, the “teaching and testing gas facility” of the DVGW in Karlsruhe stopped its work after previous attempts failed for financial reasons. It had three tasks to fulfil: teaching, research, testing and analysis. The teaching and testing gas facility became the gas institute in 1919 and in 1950, the Engler-Bunte Institute for mineral oil and coal research with the divisions of gas technology and combustion technology, and the water chemistry division added in 1947. Courses on water were also then offered.
1859 - ONE ASSOCIATION FOR THE GAS AND WATER DIVISION
The foundation of the association of German gas experts and representatives of German gas institutions. In 1870 water experts were accepted into the association, which changed its name to “Verein von Gas- und Wasserfachmännern Deutschlands” (association of gas and water specialists in Germany). On 30 May 1876, issues relating to urban drainage were included among the association’s tasks. The DVGW Deutscher Verein für das Gas- und Wasserfach was created. Since its foundation, research has formed the basis of innovations in gas and water supply.